HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL HELD IN THE MEMORIAL HALL ON THURSDAY, 13 OCTOBER 2016 at 7.00pm
Present: Councillors: Kane, Watkins, Hicks, Wright, Griggs, McCall-McCowan, Matthews, County Cllr Reynolds (arrived 7.20pm), District Cllr Brown (left 8.20pm), Mrs Watts (Parish Clerk) and three members of the public (1 left at 7.30pm, one arrived 7.25pm/left at 8.10pm)
Apologies for Absence – Cllr Duggan, Brotherston and Casson
Chairman’s Announcements: there were none.
Declarations of Interest: There were none.
Paul Ihringer – Team Leader Enforcement – Planning Department Cherwell District Council: Mr Ihringer invited Councillors and the public to ask questions about the planning process.
He discussed planning applications in the context of the HNNP, e.g. the Gladman Development. This raised serious questions about the HNNP in its current format.
Gladman Development – Mr Ihringer was aware that CDC has not communicated the outcome of the Appeal. However, he was able to give a brief summary of the decision made at the Appeal.
He explained the process for applications which fall under Class Q of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (i.e. there is a strict 56 day process).
Bourne Lane: there was a general discussion about the way Taylor Wimpey is dealing/not dealing with flooding issues on the estate/Bourne Lane. Mr Ihringer explained that this is a matter for Oxfordshire County Council and the Environment Agency to deal with; unfortunately it is not something the District Council can help with.
The Chairman thanked Mr Ihringer for taking the time to attend the meeting.
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 8 September 2016 and Matters Arising
Cllr Griggs proposed that the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 8 September 2016 be resolved as a true and accurate record of the meeting. This was seconded by Cllr Hicks and passed unanimously.
Report of the Planning Co-Ordinator on Planning Applications – Annex 1
Nine planning/TCA applications had been received since the last meeting. There was an objection to 16/01725/Q56, Whichford Lodge Farm.
Cherwell District Council had granted five applications.
16/01550/F, Uplands, Down End was withdrawn by the applicant on 23 September.
To Invite Members of the Public to Comment on Planning Applications: there were no matters arising.
Reports of Working Groups
a) Thames Water Utilities has repaired the damaged manhole in the play area.
b) Playdale has carried out an inspection of the play equipment with no matters arising.
c) New play equipment – the Parish Clerk will put this on next month’s agenda.
Cemetery and Allotments
a) People are still putting general rubbish in the green waste bin in the cemetery.
b) Mr and Mrs Ray Jelf have generously donated a further 3,000 spring bulbs to the parish. Councillors thanked them both and also added thanks to John Blackham, Dave Shepherd and Brian Griggs, who have planted them in the cemetery grounds.
a) Although recently treated, Japanese Knotweed is still growing by the stream. Cllr Griggs is seeking quotations from specialist companies who may be able to eradicate the weed permanently.
b) A survey of Parish Council owned trees was carried out by Sacha Barnes Ltd in March 2013. A quotation of £1,200 plus VAT for re-surveying high priority trees and updating the survey had been received. Cllr Kane proposed that the quotation be accepted. This was seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed unanimously.
c) OCC Highways has carried out the painting of white lines in the village.
d) The Parish Clerk had contacted Swerford Parish Council to discuss advisory 20mph signs which are displayed in their village. Details had been received and Cllr Kane proposed that advisory 20mph signs should be purchased for Hook Norton. This was seconded by Cllr Wright and agreed unanimously.
e) British Telecom has given notice that the little used telephone box outside the War Memorial Hall is going to be removed.
f) A quotation for replacing the Parish Council Noticeboard outside the Village Shop is being sought.
g) A manhole outside The Pear Tree Inn has been damaged.
h) Cllr Griggs has cut some of the ivy back from the bus shelter by The Green. However, the shelter is very badly overgrown and it was agreed that Cllr Griggs will seek a quotation from Tim Burchell for removing the growth on top of the shelter.
i) ‘To Let’ board on the corner of Austins Way – the Parish Clerk will ask Cherwell Property Services to remove it.
Hook Norton War Memorial Hall
a) Two quotations had been obtained for replacing the strip lights in the hall. Cllr Kane proposed that the cheaper quotation from Kenny Smith should be accepted. This was seconded by Cllr Wright and agreed unanimously.
b) Kenny Smith’s quotation for providing a power supply to the outside wall of the hall for a defibrillator was accepted unanimously.
c) Cllr Griggs will ask Ben Acreman to quote for cutting back the trees to the right of the hall.
Hook Norton Neighbourhood Plan: Cllr Hicks had nothing to report.
Finance/Schedule of Receipts and Payments for Authorisation by the Council:
The Parish Clerk presented the schedules of receipts and payments and sought approval to pay the cheques itemised on the schedules for September totalling £6,079.88 for the Parish Council (Annex 2) and £197.66 for the Memorial Hall (Annex 3). Cllr Wright moved acceptance of the payments detailed. This was seconded by Cllr Watkins and agreed unanimously.
Charity Commission – Hook Norton War Memorial Hall: the Parish Clerk reported that she had sent details of the 2015/2016 accounts for the War Memorial Hall to the Charity Commission.
Incredible Edible Hooky: Sarah Morris gave Councillors an overview of the last year, and her plans for 2017. In 2016 ‘Incredible Edible Hooky’ raised funds of £2.5k, (i.e. from grants, fundraising, ‘Back to the Future’ etc.) with a further grant due from TOE2. Twenty-three volunteers are maintaining five beds; the number of beds will increase in 2017. Talks are underway with the school and the Health Centre in the hope that they will agree to some land being made available for cultivation. Cubs and Guides are now involved in the project.
Report on District Council Matters. District Cllr Hugo Brown reported:
A recent by-election in Banbury saw the Conservatives retain their seat.
The shape of the Banbury Constituency will change by 2020
Officers from Thames Valley Police (PCC Anthony Stansfeld, Chief Constable Francis Hapgood and Cherwell Local Area Commander Superintendent Kath Lowe) will be attending a full meeting of the District Council on 17 October.
A Parish Liaison Meeting will take place at Cherwell District Council Offices on 9 November. Cllrs Kane and Matthews will attend.
Gladman – he is aware that Cherwell District Council has still not communicated the outcome of the Appeal.
Report on County Council Matters. County Cllr George Reynolds reported:
Unitary Authority: OCC appears to be pressing ahead with this, without any reference to the District Councils.
The OCC grass cutting programme this year was a fiasco.
OCC Highways is providing a hotline for Parish Councils to report issues.
Cllr Kane and the Parish Clerk had each received a Recorded Delivery letter from a resident complaining to CDC’s Chief Executive about the conduct of an officer at Cherwell District Council.
The Parish Clerk has written to Taylor Wimpey asking them to cut back the hedge which is overhanging the public footpath.
The waste bin in the play area in The Grange is still the responsibility of the developer and must be emptied by them until such time as the public spaces are officially handed over to Cherwell District Council. The Parish Clerk has written to A C Lloyd and they have agreed to deal with the matter.
To Invite Questions and Comments from Members of the Public: there were no matters arising.
a) Cllr Watkins went on a very useful training course for Councillors on 10 September.
The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 10 November 2016 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall.
There being no further business Councillor Kane thanked everyone for attending and closed the public meeting at 8.45pm.