HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL HELD IN THE MEMORIAL HALL ON WEDNESDAY 7 JUNE 2017 at 7.30pm
Present: Councillors: Kane, Watkins Hicks, Duggan, Griggs, McCall-McCowan, Henderson, Wilson, County Cllr Reynolds, District Cllr Brown, Mrs Watts (Parish Clerk) and one member of the public
Apologies for Absence – Councillors Matthews and Brotherston
Chairman’s Announcements: there were none.
Declarations of Interest: there were none.
Minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council held on 11 May 2017 and Matters Arising
Cllr Hicks proposed that the minutes of the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council held on 11 May 2017 be resolved as a true and accurate record of the meeting. This was seconded by Cllr McCall-McCowan and passed unanimously.
Report of the Planning Co-Ordinator on Planning Applications – (Annex 1)Three planning/TCA applications had been received since the last meeting. Councillors objected to reserved matters in 17/00950/REM, erection of 54 houses on Sibford RdCherwell District Council had granted six applications. The Parish Council had not objected to any of them.Cherwell District Council had refused one application 17/00560/F, erection of 1 No. house at Byeways, East End. The Parish Council had objected to this application.
To Invite Members of the Public to Comment on Planning Applications: there were no matters arising.
Reports of Working Groups
a) The rope climb on the small slide equipment is missing a plastic cap. Cllr Kane has reported this to Playdale
Cemetery and Allotments
a) Friends of Hook Norton Cemetery have kindly agreed to trial brushing grass clippings off graves after the grass has been mowed.
b) Specialists ECO Control Solutions have fenced off the area affected with Japanese Knotweed. They will commence treatment once the vegetation has grown to a certain height.
c) The footpath in the allotments is overgrown. Cllrs Griggs and McCall-McCowan are dealing with this.
a) A recent survey of Parish Council owned trees has identified some trees in need of early attention. Thomas Wright has been discussing items highlighted with Ben Acreman and he will report back to the Chairman in the next few days.
b) Ashburton Lane needs strimming. Cllr Griggs will speak to Tim Burchell.
c) The dog bin in Tite Lane is in disrepair and Councillors agreed unanimously that it should be replaced.
d) The wildflower meadow in Cow Lane has been closed to the public by its owner because of the amount of dog excrement being left there. The owner asked if a dog bin could be purchased for the site, at which point the meadow will be re-opened. Cllr Kane proposed that the Parish Council purchase a dog bin for the Lane. This was seconded by Cllr Duggan and passed unanimously.
Hook Norton War Memorial Hall
a) Cllr Watkins was asked to obtain prices for a new cooker or large range for the hall and replacement crockery.
b) Cllr Henderson had obtained a quotation of £6 each for cleaning the hall chairs. He will look at options for replacing them.
c) A discussion on winter hire rates was deferred to the July meeting.
Finance/Schedule of Receipts and Payments for Authorisation by the Council: The Parish Clerk presented the schedules of receipts and payments for June 2017 totalling £6,404.13 for the Parish Council (Annex 2) and £1,204.08 for the Memorial Hall (Annex 3). Cllr McCall-McCowan moved acceptance of the payments detailed. This was seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed unanimously.
Report on District Council Matters. District Cllr Hugo Brown reported:The District Council is now in the new civic year and there have been Committee changes. Cllr Brown is no longer on the Overview and Scrutiny Committee. He remains on the Planning Committee.The CDC Executive has approved a country park north of the Gateway Shopping Centre in Banbury. Cherwell District Council has agreed to maintain it.
Report on County Council Matters. County Cllr George Reynolds reported: The County Council is now led by a coalition of Conservative Councillors and two Independent Councillors.Highways in Oxfordshire used to be split into five areas but this has now been reduced to three.Following the May election campaign, more money is expected to be spent on County highways.OCC proposal for there to be a Unitary Authority – both the County Council and District Councils have submitted reports to the government setting out their proposals. This matter will be held on the back-burner until after the General Election.Oxford City Council is responsible for agreeing to any new car parks being built at hospital sites in the city.
Correspondence: The Parish Clerk had forwarded all correspondence to Councillors during the month.The Monday Club, held each week in the Baptist Hall for over 65s, is facing OCC cuts. It has a reserve of £7K but OCC grants may well be cut after 1 April 2018. The Treasurer had written to the Chairman to ask if the Parish Council would consider letting the club use the Memorial hall on a Monday free of charge, or agreeing to an annual S137 grant. Cllr Duggan proposed that the Parish Council agree to assist the club in some way. This was seconded by Cllr Griggs and agreed unanimously.
To Invite Questions and Comments from Members of the Public: There were none.
AOB: Residents are urged to report potholes via the front page of the village website or by using the OCC site, FixMyStreet.
The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 13 July 2017 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall.
There being no further business Councillor Kane thanked everyone for attending and closed the public meeting at 8.28pm.