HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL HELD IN THE MEMORIAL HALL ON THURSDAY 10th JUNE 2010 AT 7.30pm
Present: Councillors: Timms [Chairman], Brotherston, Hayward, Leader, Richardson and Stubbs, Mr Porter [Parish Clerk] and one member of the public.
1. Apologies for Absence
were received from Cllrs Kane and Millar [holiday] and Cllrs Jelf and Shepley-Cuthbert [business].
2. Chairmans Announcements
The Chairman had no announcements to make on this occasion.
3. Minutes of previous meeting, 13 May 2010, and matters arising
It was proposed by Cllr Hayward, and seconded by Cllr Stubbs, that the minutes of the previous meeting be accepted as a true and accurate record and this was passed unanimously by those present at that meeting. The Chairman referred to a change in the makeup of one of the working groups since the previous meeting, the Cemetery & Allotments group now comprising Cllrs Richardson and Shepley-Cuthbert. Cllr Brotherston is to be Chairman of the Memorial Hall group, Cllr Millar will remain Chairman of the Environment group and Cllr Leader the Recreation Group. The Clerk informed the meeting that the Elections Department at CDC had just been in touch to confirm that the requisite Notice of a vacancy had not produced a call for an election. However Richard Wheelton, of Hollybush Road, has several times offered his services and he will be invited to attend the next meeting.
4. Declarations of Interest
There were no declarations on this occasion.
5. Report by Planning Co-ordinator on planning applications received
Cllr Stubbs again thanked everyone for assiduously attending meetings and reported that there had been no objections to any of the applications received in the past month. The Clerk reported that we have received a Notice of Appeal relating to an application to build five properties on land adjacent to the Stanton Engineering site which was rejected by CDC. The PC had felt this to be a sensitive development and had not opposed the original application. Cllr Stubbs mentioned that she had approached the Arboricultural Officer at CDC about placing a TPO on the trees by the Stanton site and, as she has heard nothing further, will follow this up. The Clerk then informed the meeting that, at the Parish Liaison Meeting the previous evening, it was reported that the new Secretary of State has announced his intention to abolish regional spatial strategies and return responsibility to local authorities to determine housing requirements for their areas. What effect this will have on the future of the LDF is not yet known as further guidance from government is awaited. He also reported on the need for a Notice of Intent to be provided six weeks in advance for any work of trees in the Conservation Area [CA]. One cannot object to such work and the only way to protect trees in that area is with a TPO. Cllr Hayward enquired if there is any mechanism to prevent trees being felled or pruned outside the CA and the Clerk confirmed that the only method is a TPO. Under the circumstances it was felt that we should seek assistance from parishioners to identify any trees outside the CA which should be protected.
6. To invite members of the public to comment on planning applications
DW enquired whether there had been any comment about Affordable Housing at the Parish Liaison Meeting and the Clerk confirmed that this had not been discussed.
7. Report of Working Groups
(a)Recreation & Open Spaces Group Cllr Leader reported that he is to meet with Paul Clarke to progress the repair of the damaged wall in the Play Area. The Recreation Area is basically in good order but there have been signs of children camping in the area and it was agreed that a Notice should be erected to remind users that camping and the lighting of fires/barbecues in the Area is forbidden. The Chairman referred to a previous suggestion that the dog bin be moved but, on reflection, he feels it should remain as dog walkers do use the path through. He also referred to the fence erected by David Randall which has been damaged and David has agreed to repair this and extend further at a cost of 80. Cllr Leader confirmed that the landscape architect is in the process of producing a layout, which should be available shortly, with the thought being that work would commence in the autumn. The Chairman suggested that she be invited to attend the next PC meeting to let us have her thoughts on how the Area should be developed.
(b)Cemetery & Allotments Cllr Brotherston reported that Tim Burchell is to submit an account for the work he has done clearing the debris from the lower cemetery. He also commented on a letter from Mr and Mrs Souch who are concerned that overgrown vegetation on the cemetery side of the stream is impacting upon their property on the opposite side. Cllr Brotherston will look at the area in the next few days and the Clerk will then formally respond to Mr and Mrs Souch.(c)Environment In the absence of Cllr Millar Cllr Hayward reported that Ben Acreman had informed him that a resident in Ironstone Hollow was wishing to trim back some trees in the landscape barrier which overhang her garden. It was agreed that we would probably accede to the application but a formal request should be submitted to the Clerk. We still await OCC contractors attending to switch off the street lights between 12.30am and 5.30am and the Clerk will chase again. There is strong support for a dog bin on the corner of Osney Close and the working group will consider whether there are any bins little used which can be moved to that site, failing which the Clerk will order a new bin. The Chairman noted that the street cleaning vehicle had been in the village but only seems to visit certain roads. The Clerk will discuss with County Cllr Jelf.(d)Hook Norton War Memorial Hall Following Cllr Walshams resignation from the PC the new working group has not yet had time to meet and there was no report on this occasion.
Report on District Council Matters
In the absence of District Cllr Irvine there was no report on this occasion.
Report on County Council Matters
In the absence of Cllr Jelf there was nothing to report on this occasion.
10. Finance/Schedule of Receipts and Payments for authorisation by the Council
The Clerk presented the schedules of receipts and payments and sought approval to pay the cheques itemised on the schedules totalling 3518.03 for the PC and 198.89 for the MH plus a further cheque from the PC for 318.38 to Martin Beck for repairs to the gates in Sibford Road. The Clerk also informed the meeting that he has been seeking alternative quotes from insurers in respect of the Memorial Hall. He has now had a quote from Allied Westminster, who are agents for Aviva, for 746.26, 80 cheaper than the renewal quote from Allianz. He therefore sought approval to issue a cheque to Allied Westminster. Cllr Brotherston moved acceptance of the payments detailed and this was seconded by Cllr Stubbs and approved unanimously.
11. Election of Trustees to Heath Allotment Trust
At the previous meeting it had been reported that none of the trustees was due for re-election this year. This has subsequently been found to be incorrect with Pauline Walters and Ray Jelf having served their term of office. Both have indicated a willingness to stand for a further term and it was proposed by Cllr Brotherston that both be re-elected. This was seconded by Cllr Richardson and approved unanimously.
Cherwell District Council:(i) Public Speaking at Planning Committee New Procedures groups of objectors or supporters will now have 5 minutes each to address the committee letter and leaflet to circulate;(ii) Cherwell Sustainable Community Strategy Our District, Our Future booklet and Newsletter to circulate, together with brief details of presentation at Parish Liaison Meeting;(iii) Planning for Our Futures Cherwells Housing Strategy for Older People booklet to circulate;Oxfordshire County Council: nothing on this occasion;(iv) CPRE AGM Saturday 19 June at St Leonards Church, Watlington;(v) Berks/Oxon/Bucks Air Ambulance request for donation. Cllr Stubbs proposed that the PC send 200 and this was seconded by the Chairman and approved unanimously.
13. Questions and Comments from Members of the Public
Cllr Brotherston commented that Hook Norton Fire Station has been awarded Fire Station of the Year in the Spirit of Fire Awards from a list of over 4800 contenders. It was agreed to send a letter of congratulation on this splendid achievement to the Station Officer.
14. Date and Time of Next Meeting
The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Thursday 8th July 2010 in the Memorial Hall commencing at 7.30pmThere being no further business the Chairman closed the meeting at 8.32 pm