HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL HELD IN THE MEMORIAL HALL ON THURSDAY, 14 JULY 2016 at 7.30pm
Present: Councillors: Kane, Watkins, Wright, Hicks, Griggs, Henderson, Brotherston, Duggan, Matthews (left 8.15pm), Mrs Watts (Parish Clerk) and two members of the public
Apologies for Absence – Cllrs McCall-McCowan, Casson, District Cllr Brown and County Cllr Reynolds
Chairman’s Announcements: The Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations and re-launch of the re-furbished War Memorial Hall took place on 18 June. Cllr Kane thanked businesses, organisations and everyone else who had contributed towards making the event such a success. £660+ was raised as a result of the celebrations.
Declarations of Interest: Cllr Kane declared an interest in a tree in the churchyard, part of which had fallen into her garden during recent heavy rain.
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 9 June 2016 and Matters Arising
Cllr Matthews proposed that the minutes of the Parish Council Meeting held on 9 June 2016 be resolved as a true and accurate record of the meeting. This was seconded by Cllr Hicks and passed unanimously.
Superfast Broadband – 793 of 944 premises now have Superfast Broadband; 97 are due to get it by end 2017; plans are to be developed over the coming months for the remaining 54 properties.
Report of the Planning Co-Ordinator on Planning Applications – Annex 1
Seven planning/TCA applications had been received since the last meeting. There was an objection to 16/00931/Q56, new dwelling at Fant Hill Farm.
Cherwell District Council had granted eight applications, including two which the Parish Council had objected to; 16/00828/Q56 new dwelling at Wychford Lodge Farm and 16/00866/F new dwelling at Manor Cottage, Netting Street.
Cherwell District Council had refused four applications.
Three applications have been withdrawn.
15/02084/F Appeal to the Secretary of State, new dwelling at 13 The Glebe.
The Parish Clerk will invite Jon Westerman from CDC’s Planning Department to the September PC meeting to discuss how to object to a planning application in the context of the HNNP and applications which fall under Class Q of the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015. The meeting will start at 7.00pm.
To Invite Members of the Public to Comment on Planning Applications: there were no matters arising.
Reports of Working Groups
a) Although Cllr Kane has previously reported a damaged manhole in the play area to Thames Water, they have still not repaired it. Cllr Brotherston will chase Thames Water.
b) Some play equipment has recently sustained minor damage.
Cemetery and Allotments
a) Someone has dumped an old fireplace in the cemetery. This will have to be dismantled and removed.
b) Pathways in the allotments have been mowed/strimmed.
a) Four dog bins have been purchased and installed a) by the triangle outside the Memorial Hall, b) by the Darcy Dalton footpath on the top of Burycroft Lane, c) Claybank opposite the west side of The Bourne and d) The Bourne by the Taylor Wimpey development. A refurbished dog bin has been installed on the bend of Park Hill, Park Road.
b) The wooden planters on the triangle outside the village shop have rotted. A quotation for replacing them with wooden sleepers is being sought.
c) OCC has replaced a post on the bridge in Bridge Hill. Cllr Griggs has painted it.
d) Out of date posters are littering lampposts and noticeboards.
e) A resident of Ironstone Hollow has reported a potentially dangerous tree at the rear of his property, off Station Road. Cllr Griggs will try to find out who owns it.
f) A large branch of a tree in the churchyard fell into the garden of Talbot House during recent heavy rain. The Parish Council is responsible for the tree. Cllr Brotherston proposed that Ben Acreman should remove the branch from Talbot House and fell the remainder of the now damaged tree. This was seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed unanimously.
g) A survey of Parish Council owned trees was carried out in March 2013. Councillors will consider at the next Parish Council meeting whether or not this exercise needs to be repeated.
h) Peter Egawhary from North Area Highways has confirmed that any of the damaged white gates at the entrances to the village can be replaced.
i) Following a serious car crash on Station Rd recently and resulting press coverage, Gordon Kelman from OCC’s drainage department has advised Cllr Kane that improvements to drainage along the stretch of road where the accident happened will commence in August 2016.
j) Cllr Kane had a site meeting with Peter Egawhary, head of safety for OCC Highways. They surveyed the village, noting in particular potholes, lack of white lines and missing road signs. Advisory 20mph signs outside the school were also discussed, although the Parish Council would have to pay for these. Mr Egawhary will contact Cllr Kane in due course with his proposals.
k) Bob Bickley has agreed to clear the drains of grass outside The Pear Tree Inn after every cut.
Hook Norton War Memorial Hall
a) The facias at the front of the hall need repainting; a quotation is being sought from Ian Street.
b) There is no defibrillator at the Memorial Hall end of the village. Cllr Griggs proposed that a quotation be sought for supplying a defibrillator and fixing it to an electrical point on the Memorial Hall outer wall. This was seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed unanimously.
c) A small noticeboard has been put at the back of the hall; this is for general use.
Hook Norton Neighbourhood Plan: Cllr Hicks had nothing to report.
Finance/Schedule of Receipts and Payments for Authorisation by the Council:
The Parish Clerk presented the schedules of receipts and payments and sought approval to pay the cheques itemised on the schedules for July totalling £4,808.86 for the Parish Council (Annex 2) and £234.19 for the Memorial Hall (Annex 3). Cllr Wright moved acceptance of the payments detailed. This was seconded by Cllr Hicks and agreed unanimously.
The Parish Council accounts for 2015-2016 are with the external Auditors, BDO LLP.
Report on District Council Matters. District Cllr Hugo Brown reported: Annex 4
Surgery: this was held on 2 July in the War Memorial Hall. One Parish Councillor attended but no members of the public. District Cllr Brown is reluctant to believe that this indicates that everyone is happy with the service Cherwell District Council offers and/or that residents have no issues with which they need assistance. A second surgery will be held in the Autumn.
Freeview: At800 is providing help for people who rely on Freeview TV in areas where new 4G mobile services are disrupting viewing. Contact them for free on 0808 13 13 800 or via their website at www.at800.tv
Devolution Explained: CDC continues to provide updates on the devolution process on the news pages of its website at www.cherwell.gov.uk
Report on County Council Matters. County Cllr George Reynolds reported:
It is still unclear what Oxfordshire County Council is doing about cutting verges.
Sue Scane, Head of Environment at OCC left at the end of June. Her deputy, Mark Kemp, is leaving at the end of July.
Taylor Wimpey had responded to the Parish Clerk’s letter asking them what flood defences they intended to implement on the Bourne Lane estate and when the public footpath would be re-opened. Nigel Slade had also written to Taylor Wimpey and he is not satisfied with the response he has received. The Parish Clerk will write to Taylor Wimpey again, echoing Nigel Slade’s concerns.
To Invite Questions and Comments from Members of the Public: there were no matters arising.
a) A resident has reported that the cellar flaps in the pavement outside The Bell Inn are slippery and that she has fallen on them. Cllr Henderson will report the matter to OCC Highways.
The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 8 September 2016 at 7.00pm in the Memorial Hall. There is no Parish Council Meeting in August.
There being no further business Councillor Kane thanked everyone for attending and closed the public meeting at 8.52pm.