HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF HOOK NORTON PARISH COUNCIL HELD IN THE MEMORIAL HALL ON THURSDAY 14th APRIL 2011 IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING
Present:Councillors:Timms [Chairman], Shepley-Cuthbert [Vice-Chairman], Hayward, Jelf, Kane, Leader, Richardson and Stubbs, District Councillor Irvine, Mr Porter [Parish Clerk] and four members of the public.
1. Apologies for Absence
were received from Cllrs Brotherston [holiday], and Millar [business commitment].
2. Chairmans Announcements
The Chairman had no announcements on this occasion.
3. Minutes of previous meeting, 10 March 2011, and matters arising
It was proposed by Cllr Richardson, and seconded by Cllr Jelf, that the minutes of the previous meeting be accepted as a true and accurate record and this was passed unanimously. The Clerk informed the meeting that the election due to be held on Thursday 5 May will be uncontested and he provided those councillors who have been re-elected copies of the Register of Members Interests for completion.
4. Declarations of Interest
Cllr Hayward declared an interest in one of the planning applications to be considered later.
5. Report by Planning Co-ordinator on planning applications received
Cllr Stubbs referred to the applications shown on the schedule and thanked those councillors who respond quickly to emails on planning issues. She then commented that, at a recent visit to Bodicote House, she had spoken with planners about the new system for notifying planning applications. Cllr Stubbs amplified the information provided by Cllr Hayward at the last meeting advising that, with effect from 1 March, as part of its savings plans, CDC will put up Notices on all planning application sites. These will replace the letters formerly sent to neighbours. Also newspaper notices about planning applications will list only those applications where there is a legal requirement, such as major schemes or conservation and listed buildings. These changes accompany changes made to CDCs website where all planning applications are published in detail at www.cherwell.gov.uk/planning. Accordingly for residents to be alerted to an application in their neighbourhood they will need to regularly check the website. There is a weekly list to be accessed showing validated and determined. These details will be included in the next Snippets to go into the Newsletter. Cllr Jelf suggested that the PC should actually inform immediate neighbours when an application is received. Cllr Stubbs offered to do this and it was agreed to trial the system for three months and then re-assess. Cllr Stubbs also reported that she had received an approach from a planning consultant for Taylor Wimpey who would like to meet representatives from the PC to discuss a possible development of land at the top of Bourne Lane. After some discussion Cllr Hayward proposed that an informal meeting should be held to listen to what is proposed but that no commitment be made and a record made of the presentation. This was seconded by Cllr Shepley-Cuthbert and approved unanimously.
6. To invite members of the public to comment on planning applications
There were no comments from the public on this occasion.
7. Report of Working Groups
(a)Recreation & Open Spaces Group Cllr Leader reported that the Play Area is attracting many compliments and is being well used. However there are still people camping overnight and at weekends and on 2 April the Police attended at 6.30am to remove offenders and made them clear their litter. The Police have talked with local residents and left a dedicated telephone number to allow them to report any problems in the area. Cllr Leader had erected some You Are Being Watched signs but these were taken down almost immediately. Fortunately we have not suffered any vandalism but there is a lot of litter which Mr Marshall is endeavouring to keep on top of. It was agreed that litter is becoming a real problem within the village and the Chairman asked the Environment working group to consider this and report to the next PC meeting with suggestions. Cllr Leader then referred to the stretch of wall near the bottom of Watery Lane which is in a parlous state and, after discussion, it was agreed to look at planting a thick thorn hedge which would bind the remains of the wall and deter any vandalism. Two pieces of fence behind the goalposts are to be replaced and one of the new entrance posts has been damaged and may also need replacing. The newly repaired stretches of wall will be monitored to ensure they are not allowed to deteriorate again.
(b)Cemetery & Allotments Cllr Shepley-Cuthbert reported that the annual meeting of the Allotment Holders Association had agreed to set up working parties on two days later in the month to continue general maintenance and install rabbit proof fencing, and work will be carried out on the perimeter hedging to keep it in check. Two new plot holders have been welcomed this year and a third will be offered a plot shortly. Research into the feasibility of a bore hole and windmill to provide a water supply continues, although there is concern about the potential cost.
(c)Environment in the absence of Cllr Millar there was nothing to report on this occasion with the exception of the parking at Osney Close which is covered below.
(d)Hook Norton War Memorial Hall in the absence of Cllr Brotherston there was nothing to report on this occasion other than that he is still waiting for a quote to repair the front door.
8.Report on District Council Matters
District Cllr Irvine had nothing to add to the report she had provided to the Annual Parish Meeting.
9.Report on County Council Matters
County Cllr Jelf had nothing to add to the report he had provided to the Annual Parish Meeting.
10. Finance/Schedule of Receipts and Payments for authorisation by the Council
The Clerk presented the schedules of receipts and payments and sought approval to pay the cheques itemised on the schedules totalling 5000.52 for the PC and 174.22 for the MH, plus a further cheque for 250 from the PC account for the internal audit. Cllr Shepley-Cuthbert moved acceptance of the payments detailed and this was seconded by Cllr Kane and approved unanimously. The Clerk then presented the Accounts for the year ended 31 March 2011 and sought formal approval; Cllr Shepley-Cuthbert moved acceptance and this was seconded by the Chairman and the accounts were approved unanimously. Mr Porter also supplied councillors with the Memorial Hall accounts for the year ended 31 March 2011.
11. Hook Norton Community Speedwatch
The Clerk referred to an email from PCSO Nikki Dale informing the PC that the Neighbourhood Policing Team are considering setting up a Speedwatch scheme in the village and enquiring whether we had received complaints from residents who might be willing to volunteer to assist the police with this scheme. After discussion it was generally agreed that the problem within the village is one of parking not speeding. However we have had complaints of excessive speeding on Whichford Road and the Clerk will pass on the names of parishioners who had commented on this to Nikki Dale.
12. Bus Stop at Church House
The Clerk referred to an email from Mrs Lomas asking if the PC would reconsider its previous decision and allow the bus stop outside her house to be moved a little closer to the church at her cost. Cllr Stubbs felt the proximity of the bus stop was intrusive to the householder and supported her application but, after a full discussion on the issue, the Chairman asked councillors if it was considered appropriate to accede to Mrs Lomass request and this was defeated with four against, one in favour and two abstentions
Cherwell District Council:
(i) Spring Parish Liaison Meeting 8 June 2011;
Oxfordshire County Council:
(ii) Residential Parking Provision Policy for New Developments although journeys travelled by car are reducing there are still more cars on the road and OCC is considering a new approach to the issue when considering new developments;
(iii) OALC March Newsletter circulated by email;
(iv) Hook Norton Playgroup letter from Alison Driver, Chair of the Playgroup committee, complaining that our recent letter and comments in the Newsletter inferred that Playgroup parents are solely at fault for the parking problems evident in Osney Close. Whilst primarily our concerns were the safety of residents and children there was never intended to be any criticism of the Playgroup organisers and a letter to this effect will be sent in reply.
14. Questions and Comments from Members of the Public
There were no comments from the public on this occasion.
15. Date and Time of Next Meeting
The next Parish Council meeting [the Annual General Meeting] will be held on Thursday 12th May 2011 in the Memorial Hall at 7.30pm
There being no further business the Chairman thanked everyone for attending and closed the public meeting at 8.25 pm.