In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hook Norton like this:
“HOOK-NORTON, a village and a parish in Banbury district, Oxford. The village stands on a branch of the river Swere, 2 miles E of the boundary with Warwick, and 5 NE of Chipping-Norton r. station; and has a postoffice under Chipping-Norton, and fairs on 29 June and 28 Nov.
Florence of Worcester calls it Regia Villa, “a royal town or village”.
The parish comprises 3, 730 acres. Real property, 8,954. Pop. in 1851, 1, 496; [...]